The opening and history of the Home of Triumph
We thought it only fitting that we had our ‘Home of Triumph’ official opening at our Triumph Day special event. With special guest John Rosamond (ex-chairman of the Meriden Triumph Works Co-operative) on hand, museum founder Bill Crosby cut the ribbon to open the UK’s new ‘Home Of Triumph’.
Having a ‘Home of Triumph’ at the museum has been founder Bill Crosby’s dream since he started the museum 13 years ago. Being a Meriden dealer meant he had opportunities to buy some very rare and collectable machines over the years, and these form the backbone of his Crosby Collection.
With over 80 Triumphs in one place - including 10 prototypes! - it is a pretty extensive collection of the Triumph marque. And with so many bikes it would take a large hall to house them all. Bill chose the old 1860’s barn of the farm yard as the ideal building to display them. The barn itself was in a very bad way and had not been used for anything specific for many years. The council, who had used the yard before us, had kept tractors and lorries in there, and when they moved out, the pigeons had moved in! Having persuaded the pigeons to leave, the first task was to have a new roof put on the building. The museum managed to secure a grant from the council and work started on re-slating the roof – restoring it to its 1860 state.
Along with the new roof, the building was also insulated using high performance multi-layered insulation, ensuring the roof joists were still visible from inside and so keeping the character of the building. Now it was weatherproof from the top, the next task was replacing the old metal gates on the front. These were taken off and most of the frontage was bricked up and later clad in wood to make the barn look old again. Bill sourced some amazing old doors from a monastery to finish off the front and some additional aluminium doors were installed, thanks to a grant from the British Motorcycle Charitable Trust.
Now the outside of the barn was complete, work started on the inside. The walls were sealed and work began on putting up shelving for the display area and installing new wiring for lights and power sockets. Working on the barn on Sundays meant that progress was slow, but with the dedicated team of volunteers, and the ever-present Crosby family, it was finally completed and the barn was ready for its big day. The turnout for Triumph Day - part organised by the Triumph Owners - saw more than 100 people turn up to see the completed barn, enjoy the bbq and take in the other attractions, headed by a talk with John Rosamond followed by a Q&A session.